The History of GameSeek; In Brief - the last 17 years!
Take a tour of our past!
Our humble beginnings started way back in 2000, where we were selling just a handful of games. Our website first went live in November of that year as an affiliated website, when CEO Stephen Staley was just a university student.
Now look at us. We have grown rapidly with a large customer base with a reputation of being one of the best specialist stores in Europe with a back catalogue of 250,000 predominately gaming and toy products.
- 2000 – November; established as an affiliated website whilst Steve studied at university, conversations with Blackstar regarding online business.
- 2002 – October; established as a retail website. £53 capital in bank, £0 loan, initially launched from bedroom.
- 2002 – 7th October; first trade. Unreal tournament 2003 on PC. Fondly remembered as it was a purchase order for 1 unit and a loss of £3!
- 2004 – New business location (Steve moved from his parents to his newly purchased home.)
- 2005 – Moved to a Warehouse unit in Hartford, rented for 3 years. Grew from 1 person to full team of staff over this period to help with growing business (4 on popular phone line, 7 total). Eventual cut back to 2 as business focus changed with new move.
- 2008 – Bought warehouse at Oasis Business Park on Winsford Industrial Estate. Success of the Nintendo Wii launch which helped propel GameSeek going forward and expand the company.
- 2013 – Play.com Machinery purchase. Flew out to Jersey following news of Play.com closure to purchase machinery for the new, much larger GS warehouse on Premier Park.
- 2014 – Official retail partner at Play Expo retro gaming convention in Manchester, where we gave away products and hosted a “Beat The Boss” Street Fighter 2 tournament.
- 2015 – Focus on growth. WMS Conveyor Networks purchase, IMIO system.
- 2016 – Focus on Efficiencies; WMS installed July 2016. Warehouse 365 days / 12 hr shifts start. Full Tracking now on most UK deliveries. Additional warehouse hired with max 4000 pallet bays.
- 2017 – New GameSeek website go live, the honouring of £198.50 Switch changing history, Cyclonic Deals, GameHunter Interactive website game and new GameSeek Marketplace live.
Blast From The Past
Below are just a few of the images from our past, so feel free to browse them at your leisure.
First up is our website when it first started up, how times have changed!
Press & Marketing
Check out a few of our adverts and flyers from the past!
Hey, listen! Steve’s in MCV!
As we’ve expanded, we’ve had to move from place to place. Here are some images to show you that journey, and how much we’ve grown. The warehouse has certainly undergone a few changes…! Of course we now have a much bigger selection of games to choose from, as well as toys, electronics, DVDs, Blu Rays, computers, peripherals, clothing, and gadgets. I wonder which classics are hidden in those piles.
Warehouse 1 – Hartford (2005)
Warehouse 2, Unit 10 – Winsford (2008)
Nice car, totally not jealous…
Looking snazzy there fellas!
As with anything in life, not everything is a happy memory or experience. We got robbed, but we soldiered through and soon got back on our feet.
The most historical memory of them all… It snowed in Winsford! Hey, we hardly get any snow, so whilst it may just be a few flakes, let us enjoy this rare occasion dammit!
Here we see Steve with his beloved Beer World Cup Trophy. Cherish that Steve, cherish it!
Warehouse 3, Unit 16 – Winsford (2013)
Upstairs we go!
We were the leading retailer at Play Expo 2014 which was awesome! The atmosphere was brilliant, the people were wonderful, and we even had a “Beat The Boss” Street Fighter II Turbo tournament as well!
As you can see, our history is pretty extensive, and we’ve grown massively over these past 17 years. We’ve only been able to do so because of you, our loyal customers, and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for purchasing your items from us, letting us expand and show you just the potential we have.
From all of us at Team GameSeek, thank you so much for your custom, and we hope that you will enjoy and cherish the things we have planned for you in the future; and as always, happy gaming!
Written by Megan Parker Posted Has 29 Comments